People are becoming aware that in this country we have a serious companion animal overpopulation crisis. Breeders perpetuate this problem by creating even more animals. Here are the facts...
- Every two seconds, of every day, a dog or cat is killed in a shelter in the United States. The Orange County Animal Shelter killed 9,229 cats and 7,233 dogs in 1996. In the time it takes to read this brochure, another 600 animals will be killed in shelters.
- If all cats and dogs currently in shelters were given homes, every man, woman and child in the country would have nine animals.
- Only two out of ten kittens in the U.S. ever find a lifelong home.
- Two unaltered cats and their unaltered offspring can produce 20,000 animals within two years.
- One out of every four dogs in shelters is a purebred.
- Puppies and kittens can now be safely spayed or neutered as early as eight weeks.
- Abandoned and homeless animals run the streets living miserable, lonely, frightened lives. They starve to death, die of infection, disease, or injury or are picked up by satanic cults to be used in gruesome rituals. At this printing, there are three cults operating in Orange County known to steal and torture cats.
What You Can Do
- Do not take your pet to the shelter or abandon your pet! Check out these alternatives instead.
- Spay or neuter your companion dog or cat now. Your friend will live a longer and healthier life.
- Keep your companion animals under your supervision. Do not allow cats or dogs to roam free. Pet theft rings steal dogs and cats regularly and sell them to laboratories, dog fighting rings, and some restaurants.
- When adopting a dog or cat, be sure to obtain them from your local pound or shelter, never from a breeder, pet store, or the internet. Adopt, never purchase, an animal.